My name is Amanda Henry and I was born and raised in Trinidad and Tobago. I am a recent graduate of St. Joseph’s Convent, Port of Spain and I have been accepted into the 5-Year Doctor of Medicine Program at St. George’s University, Grenada.
Everyone has a deep wish, and well mine is to become a well-learned forensic pathologist. A forensic pathologist is a specially trained physician who examines the bodies of people who died suddenly, unexpectedly, or violently. To me, it is the bridge between science and medicine. I like the fact that I can collaborate with people from different fields while retaining my medical and scientific background. Fortunately, I can assist law enforcement and even, bring justice to many individuals and their families.
Luckily for me, it was a dream come true to find out that I had been accepted into SGU because it felt as though I was one step closer to accomplishing my dream.
So, the question you all may be asking...why SGU? What makes SGU so special?
- Exposure to new customs: Traveling has always been a must when I was planning to study. Not only would I be in a new environment but I also have the opportunity to appreciate many cultures. At SGU, there are over 102 nationalities that represent the student body. I believe that it is important to immerse ourselves in various cultures beyond our own, as it allows us to gain knowledge about people’s traditions and values. In return, we are encouraged to evaluate our preconceptions about others. Additionally, SGU has many affiliated hospitals and clinical centers in which one can complete their clinical rotations. This gives me the chance to understand different healthcare systems and different ways to go about diagnosing and treating patients. This provides a unique opportunity to broaden my horizons and my clinical reasoning skills.
- Independence: Living on your own is one of the most liberating experiences life has to offer. Exploring the world gives you a greater understanding of what life is really like. When you live by yourself, you’re forced to make your own meals, clean your own place, and fix your own issues. This compels me to be my own self-advocate and also gives me a sense of independence. As I venture into the world as a young woman, I will have the ability to gain a new sense of who I am and what Amanda really likes. #nomorebackrubsfrommummywhenlifesucks
- Residency Success: For those who may not know, residency is post-graduate training that you undertake in a specialized field after medical school. Securing a residency is crucial to becoming a doctor. The emphasis SGU has on residency success has definitely caught my interest. According to data, as of September 2020, 1,124 SGU graduates had secured residence opportunities in the United States and Canada.
- USMLE exam: The USLME is a medical licensing examination. SGU prepares you very well for the USMLE exams, with an average pass rate of 95% in Step 1 for first-time test takers. Moreover, accumulating high scores in the USMLE increases one’s chances of getting matched to a great and competitive residency program.
- Extracurricular activities: SGU clubs such as Students Helping Enrich Little Lives (SHELL) align with my interests. I love volunteering and giving back to others and thus making a positive difference. Furthermore, being a woman of colour pursuing medicine and being a woman in general, I look forward to joining the Women in Medicine (WIM) club as it fosters an inclusive environment that promotes growth and development for female physicians. Additionally, they provide support and service to the women in the community. Ultimately, it makes me content to know that there is a place in the university that I can fit right in.
TOTAL COST OF STUDY
USD$331977 (includes tuition and fees)
Goal: Any financial support
Medical school is not cheap at all but this is a dream of mine and I would to pursue it by all means. It would be very disappointing to know that finances is the one thing that could prevent me from accomplishing my dream and this is why I am asking for your assistance.
Like an eager person, I'm rubbing the gold lamp and hoping a genie pops out. Please grant me this one wish. Additionally for those who cannot help me with this wish, please channel your genie friends and families and let them know that I'm calling out for them.
Thank you in advance. <3
Disclaimer: If you prefer to donate directly to my bank account, please contact me directly for more information.