My name is Sarah Lutchman. I am a 34 year old wife and mother to a loving husband and wonderful baby boy. What was supposed to be one of the most memorable and enjoyable times of my life became my worst nightmare. In 2018, my husband and I found out we were going to be parents for the first time and we were ecstatic beyond belief. My due date was set for April 2019. During the course of my pregnancy, my mother became very ill and passed away suddenly. My family and I experienced a tragic loss that we are still trying to cope with currently. While I tried to stay strong during the last months of being pregnant, losing my mother took a toll on me and I eventually had an emergency c-section at the Port-of-Spain General Hospital. During my recovery in the hospital while attempting to use the washroom I tripped over an industrial size fan that was placed in the room by hospital staff. I was in an enormous amount of pain and couldn’t move. After being sent for an x-ray; the results showed that my right hip was broken.
My life as I knew it would be completely changed at this point. Fast forward to the present day, I am still unable to walk normally and need assistance to get around.I will share a synopsis of the timeline of events that has lead me to this this point:
- April 2019, 1st repair surgery - “pin the hip” procedure performed at POS General Hospital via consultant. During recovery, pain was still constant and present.
- September 2020, 2nd repair surgery - full hip replacement surgery performed at POS General Hospital. Pain is still constant and present even with post op physical therapy
- July 2021 - infection detected in hip resulting from the 2nd surgical procedure (untreated infection could lead to Sepsis)
- Proposed plan by Dr. Marlon Mencia - removal of infected device in my hip followed by an intense antibiotic treatment for 6-8 weeks
- Proposed plan by Dr. Marlon Mencia - re-insert new prosthetic implant after infection has been treated
My quality of life has been affected by this horrible incident that occured in the POS General Hospital. I am in constant, agonizing pain. I would like to do simple things such as pick my son up, run after him, take him to see the animals at the zoo or even take a walk on the beach. I cannot perform any of these things due to this handicap. As I reflect back on the past two years, losing my mom while having my first baby has been very bitter sweet. I am trying to stay strong but it has been very challenging as you can only imagine.
The cost of the procedure to treat the infection and replace the prosthetic hip adequately and efficiently by a qualified physician is a huge cost. I am kindly asking for you to find it in your heart to contribute any amount you can. *In addition to donating here on FundMeTnT, you can also donate via:
Paypal - email@example.com
Direct bank transfer - First Citizens Bank - Account # 2057544 (Statement Savings), Independence Square Branch. Please comment: Donation for hip replacement surgery